In 1631, John Weever published the following comment about the screen at Woodbridge
(page 224, entry 68):
'how glorious it was when it was all standing may be discerned by that which remaineth'
(Quoted in D P Mortlock, Popular Guide to Suffolk Churches, (Cambridge, 1992), Vol
Thus, before Dowsing's arrival, either the screen had been partially dismantled or
the paintings mutilated, or both.
Thanks to Aidan Semmens for this reference.
Trevor Cooper 22 February 2001
Back to Corrections / New Info